TiDB provides multiple data migration tools for different scenarios such as full data migration, incremental data migration, backup and restore, and data replication.
This document introduces the user scenarios, supported upstreams and downstreams, advantages, and limitations of these tools. You can choose the right tool according to your needs.
- User scenario: Data migration from MySQL-compatible databases to TiDB
- Upstream: MySQL, MariaDB, Aurora
- Downstream: TiDB
- A convenient and unified data migration task management tool that supports full data migration and incremental replication
- Support filtering tables and operations
- Support shard merge and migration
- Limitation: Data import speed is roughly the same as that of TiDB Lightning's logical import mode, and a lot lower than that of TiDB Lightning's physical import mode. So it is recommended to use DM to migrate full data with a size of less than 1 TiB.
- User scenario: Full data import into TiDB
- Upstream (the imported source file):
- Files exported from Dumpling
- Parquet files exported by Amazon Aurora or Apache Hive
- CSV files
- Data from local disks or Amazon S3
- Downstream: TiDB
- Support quickly importing a large amount of data and quickly initializing a specific table in a TiDB cluster
- Support checkpoints to store the import progress, so that
tidb-lightningcontinues importing from where it lefts off after restarting
- Support data filtering
- User scenario: Full data export from MySQL or TiDB
- Upstream: MySQL, TiDB
- Downstream (the output file): SQL, CSV
- Support the table-filter feature that enables you to filter data easier
- Support exporting data to Amazon S3
- If you want to restore the exported data to a database other than TiDB, it is recommended to use Dumpling.
- If you want to restore the exported data to another TiDB cluster, it is recommended to use Backup & Restore (BR).
- User scenario: This tool is implemented by pulling TiKV change logs. It can restore cluster data to a consistent state with any upstream TSO, and support other systems to subscribe to data changes.
- Upstream: TiDB
- Downstream: TiDB, MySQL, Kafka, Confluent
- Advantages: Provide TiCDC Open Protocol
- Limitation: TiCDC only replicates tables that have at least one valid index. The following scenarios are not supported:
- The TiKV cluster that uses RawKV alone.
- The DDL operation
CREATE SEQUENCEand the
SEQUENCEfunction in TiDB.
- User scenario: Migrate a large amount of TiDB cluster data by backing up and restoring data
- Upstream: TiDB
- Downstream (the output file): SST, backup.meta files, backup.lock files
- Suitable for migrating data to another TiDB cluster
- Support backing up data to an external storage for disaster recovery
- When BR restores data to the upstream cluster of TiCDC or Drainer, the restored data cannot be replicated to the downstream by TiCDC or Drainer.
- BR supports operations only between clusters that have the same
- User scenario: Comparing data stored in the databases with the MySQL protocol
- Upstream: TiDB, MySQL
- Downstream: TiDB, MySQL
- Advantages: Can be used to repair data in the scenario where a small amount of data is inconsistent
- Online check is not supported for data migration between MySQL and TiDB.
- JSON, BIT, BINARY, BLOB and other types of data are not supported.
Since TiDB v4.0, TiUP acts as a package manager that helps you manage different cluster components in the TiDB ecosystem. Now you can manage any cluster component using a single command.
curl --proto '=https' --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://tiup-mirrors.pingcap.com/install.sh | sh
Redeclare the global environment variable:
You can use the following command to see all the available components:
The command output lists all the available components:
Available components: Name Owner Description ---- ----- ----------- bench pingcap Benchmark database with different workloads br pingcap TiDB/TiKV cluster backup restore tool cdc pingcap CDC is a change data capture tool for TiDB client pingcap Client to connect playground cluster pingcap Deploy a TiDB cluster for production ctl pingcap TiDB controller suite dm pingcap Data Migration Platform manager dmctl pingcap dmctl component of Data Migration Platform errdoc pingcap Document about TiDB errors pd-recover pingcap PD Recover is a disaster recovery tool of PD, used to recover the PD cluster which cannot start or provide services normally playground pingcap Bootstrap a local TiDB cluster for fun tidb pingcap TiDB is an open source distributed HTAP database compatible with the MySQL protocol tidb-lightning pingcap TiDB Lightning is a tool used for fast full import of large amounts of data into a TiDB cluster tiup pingcap TiUP is a command-line component management tool that can help to download and install TiDB platform components to the local system
Choose the components to install:
tiup install dumpling tidb-lightning
It is recommended to see the release log and compatibility notes of the new version.
tiup update --self && tiup update dm